We switched to a manual approval system for registration on this forum, as this makes it easier to keep bots out of the forum. We'll approve everybody who doesn't look like a bot!

pandoc citation formatting question

I this is not a Zettlr question per se, and will apologize for that up front. However, the issue I mention did arise while using Zettlr with Zotero. I really like using pandoc citation with cite keys. It is much better than Zotero w. Word. It is faster, seems very flexible, and I really like just being able to write out cite keys, page numbers, etc.

My question is how can I properly write a pandoc-citeproc citation to include the original date of publication? Say we're citing Durkheim's The Elementary Forms of Religious Life and we have a 1995 pdf of the 1912 original and we'd like the citation to reflect this. For example, Society for American Archaeology style would be (Durkheim 1995[1912]: 321). Does anyone know if there is a way to write this out using pandoc-citeproc in Zettlr? In some styles Zotero handles original publication dates through the extra field. However, I'm wondering if there is a way the original date can be simply written into the pandoc-citeproc citation text. Perhaps not, but I'd appreciate others insight on this matter.

If this line of discussion about formatting citations is ok to open here, then I'll invite others to raise similar pandoc-citproc questions on this thread (which is why I left the title broader). I for one would like to understand the full range of pandoc-citeproc citation techniques for Zettlr. If this is an inappropriate topic for the Zettlr forum, then I'll remove the thread but would ask where I might discuss the matter. This post at GitHub was the closest thing I could see.

Thank you very much,
n

Comments

• Enter the original publication date into the Extra field as original-date: [year] i.e. original-date: 1845. These render perfectly in Zettlr! This is further documented in the Zotero form, and a second post, and a more recent one.

• This sounds as if it's some feature that has already been implemented in citeproc-js (which is being used BOTH by Zettlr and Zotero), but not yet in pandoc-citeproc — maybe consider strolling through their issues.