We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Using **Bookends** rather than Zotero

I am capturing my zettelkasten notes in Zettl using a Dropbox folder. On my iOS devices I use 1Writer. This all works very well. However I capture referenced on Bookends and not Zotero. I have downloaded Pandoc and LaTex but I am not getting much further. Could anyone help? Thank you.

Comments

• If Bookends can export to BibTex or CSL JSON, you can use that as well. Simply load in a BibTex-exported database from Bookends. A direct API is not supported as of now.

• edited April 25

@hendrik said:
    If Bookends can export to BibTex or CSL JSON, you can use that as well. Simply load in a BibTex-exported database from Bookends. A direct API is not supported as of now.

I too am interested in this cross-compatibility. Has anyone gotten this to work? I've exported my .bib file from Bookends and loaded it into Zettlr, but nothing populates when I type the citation command. Any suggestions/troubleshoots?

• I’m really hoping this will work as I’m too invested in Bookends<->Highlights on iPad and Devonthink, Tinderbox. I really don’t want to zettelkasten-surf anymore?

• @hendrik Is the difference between Zotero and Bookends that Zotero will export BibTeX automatically?

From the Bookends forum:
    https://sonnysoftware.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5277&p=23933#p23933

_ "Bookends can export BibTeX and it can export the unique ID (if you tweak the format). But you have to actively export, I believe Zotero exports automatically. Whether what Bookends does is sufficient for Zettlr I don't know (I never heard of it before).

Jon“_

It would be great if you could give a heads up if I need to adapt my workflow as I really, really want to use Zettlr.

Thanks in advance.

• So Zotero only exports automatically if you make use of BetterBibTex, so … well. The important thing is: You need either a CSL JSON or a BibTex file. Whatever is in there — be it the most recent status or some older state — will be usable from within Zettlr.

Zettlr itself will always re-read the file whenever it changes.

• Thanks for your swift reply, Hendrik. I know you are very busy.

I'll give it a try. On the other hand I could use this as an opportunity to start afresh with Zotero and reserve that for more personal research.

My first impression of Zettlr is that it is a place I want to spend time long-thinking - a soothing place.

Thanks for your efforts:)