We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Installation in Windows 10

I've tried to install latest version witht the install packacke exe and also alternatively with chocolate. both did not function.
the installation process just does not come to an end and is then rolled back.
I use this wonderful program at my macbook at home - but I would love to use it on my professional/working laptop at the office too.
Is there any help out here?

Comments

• Mh, is any error thrown? Or just quietly fails?

If here's anyone with a Windows 10 machine who can say anything more, I'd greatly appreciate! :) If it's a bug, please feel free to open up an issue over on GitHub (albeit I can't say too much for the generated installers, as they come from Electron builder, but maybe there's been a bug I didn't notice!)

• You have been saying you're trying to run it on an office device.
    Might be the case that User Account Control is enabled on that Windows device, preventing the installer from accessing several files. Usually the installer should try to put the Zettlr files in ~\AppData\Local\Programs\Zettlr but there's no guarantee that this directory is easily accessible if you've got a device managed by your organization.

@hendrik might I suggest putting up a .zip file with all files so that there's no need for a setup routine for Zettlr. As far as I know it's portable so apart from creating handy shortcuts there's no need for an installer actually?

@christofbuerger for the time being: You can get 7zip (please use the official website, be sure not to use scam websites) and open the .exe using 7zip. You can then extract all the files. You will see inside the installer there's a folder called $PLUGINSDIR which you can open, and there's app-64.7z . In there are all files you need, so you can copy them to whatever folder you like and start the "Zettlr.exe" or create a shortcut for this file.

• @iamnotabot Well, yes and no. Yes, Electron is portable insofar as it runs without registry entries being written. But no, to make it truly portal I would need to override the appData-directory within the application itself on boot, and I haven't tried that out, b/c I didn't have time so far. But I know from other forums on the net that there's a demand for a portable version of the app.

• @hendrik said:
    It would need to override the appData-directory within the application itself on boot

oh yes, I totally forgot about that. Yes, you're right. But, what I meant by saying portable: It definitely does not need any installer. It'll create the appData folder by itself as soon as it's launched and does not recognize the folder, right?

• That is correct. But the target audience of Zettlr might very well be like "what the heck?" if I didn't ship an installer :D Interestingly, it makes the whole app "better" because it looks more complete this way #psychology

• @hendrik said:
    That is correct. But the target audience of Zettlr might very well be like "what the heck?" if I didn't ship an installer :D Interestingly, it makes the whole app "better" because it looks more complete this way #psychology

That of course, but putting an alternate version in a zip-file online - not the standard download, but optionally?

• Should be possible, yes. I'd have to investigate and update the workflow file and check that this doesn't break the API or any of the other systems I've built around it :D

• @hendrik said:
    Mh, is any error thrown? Or just quietly fails?

If here's anyone with a Windows 10 machine who can say anything more, I'd greatly appreciate! :) If it's a bug, please feel free to open up an issue over on GitHub (albeit I can't say too much for the generated installers, as they come from Electron builder, but maybe there's been a bug I didn't notice!)

This will not be very helpful ... I am running on Win 10 Edu. Installed previous version (1.6??) just by doing the standard "button pushing" - no problem at all. Installed 1.7 beta a couple of days ago - again, the install was no problem. I have several other Electron apps; again, no install problems.
    regards
    ay