We switched to a manual approval system for registration on this forum, as this makes it easier to keep bots out of the forum. We'll approve everybody who doesn't look like a bot!

Miscellaneous Zettelkasten-ish Questions

I installed Zettlr a couple days ago and am looking forward to transferring my notes from Scrivener! I had a couple of questions before I start all that busywork:
1. I see people using what in e.g. Obsidian is 'preview mode' to view their notes - where the headings show up in larger text and the links are presumably clickable. However I can't figure out how to access this view; all I get is the editor where I can make headings and links but they don't 'work.' I guess there's some setting somewhere but not sure where?
2. (oh cool it automatically makes a list!) For the age-old title vs. ID filename question, does it cause any problems for me to name a note on story theory "story-theory.[ID].md"? That way when I want to link it I can type "[[story" and it'll fill in, and also the name is first so I can kind of see what the notes are about when I do a search (if your filenames are IDs it seems like you'd have to click through every search result?). And the ID is still in the filename for if I ever transfer out of Zettlr into a program that will only link by filenames or something.. (no idea how it works, I just know I see most people who use minimal plain-text systems using IDs as filenames and don't want to lose the ID completely if there's a reason to have it in the filename as well as just in the text somewhere.)
3. What's the fastest way to make a template of sorts -- like if I wanted to be able to automatically have my new note look like:

[Title]

ID:

Tags

Links

Should I just store the outline in a note and copy-paste it or is there an easier way?

Comments

• @AbigailSarah said:
    1. I see people using what in e.g. Obsidian is 'preview mode' to view their notes - where the headings show up in larger text and the links are presumably clickable. However I can't figure out how to access this view; all I get is the editor where I can make headings and links but they don't 'work.' I guess there's some setting somewhere but not sure where?

There's no HTML preview mode as far as I know, which is what I think you mean with Obsidian.

You can make clickable links in Zettlr with this format:

[link text](http://www.example.com)

If you hold down Ctrl, you can click on those links.

1. (oh cool it automatically makes a list!) For the age-old title vs. ID filename question, does it cause any problems for me to name a note on story theory "story-theory.[ID].md"? That way when I want to link it I can type "[[story" and it'll fill in, and also the name is first so I can kind of see what the notes are about when I do a search (if your filenames are IDs it seems like you'd have to click through every search result?). And the ID is still in the filename for if I ever transfer out of Zettlr into a program that will only link by filenames or something.. (no idea how it works, I just know I see most people who use minimal plain-text systems using IDs as filenames and don't want to lose the ID completely if there's a reason to have it in the filename as well as just in the text somewhere.)

That's true. If you type [[ in Zettlr, a list of filenames shows. If you want to easily select a file from there, it helps to have filenames that hold meaning rather than just a numerical ID.

1. What's the fastest way to make a template of sorts -- like if I wanted to be able to automatically have my new note look like:
      Should I just store the outline in a note and copy-paste it or is there an easier way?

Some users use AutoHotkey for this, which can insert text into programs based on a little code you have to write.

Zettlr doesn't have the capability to define a template.