We switched to a manual approval system for registration on this forum, as this makes it easier to keep bots out of the forum. We'll approve everybody who doesn't look like a bot!

VSCode Zettlr extension

hi

i don't know if you already checked this https://github.com/0xGG/vscode-crossnote
the author of the (amazing) Markdown Preview Enhanced ext fot VSCode (and Atom)

is developing this complete markdown notetaking system.

it's very impressive and already working well (even if pre-alpha)

and i was wandering: couldn't Zettlr be jsut an extension for VSCode? which is becoming the stadard de facto text editor?

so to not bother too much with the core basic editor features, but concentrate on the hi level links & tags system?
there are already some naive tentative Zettelkasten exts for VSCode...

so.. just to talk about the future!

ciao

Comments

• Hi,

I somewhat agree.
    I'm not sure it is the most efficient way to reimplement a file editor from scratch.

Even more so since vscode is so good, even at non-programming stuff and even for non-programmers. (I suspect that the target users of Zettlr are non programmers)

Even though having complete control over the codebase has its advantages, since you can do everything you want.

I don't know much about vscode extensions.
    Are they limited in some way? Maybe that's the reason.

• edited May 12

Umh, I can't edit the previous message anymore.

I just wanted to add that I looked a bit into the VSCode API. It seems very advanced and should provide all the features needed for a fully functional zettelkasten system. The problem is that it's a huge framework, so it's not easy at all. Even though, using VSCode you are gaining a rock-solid file editor with tons of functionalities.

In particular the Language Server Extension I think is a good fit. In this way, it would be possible to decouple the zettelkastten analyzer/compiler from the extensions.

Using the language-server approach it could be possible to share the backbone of Zettlr and VSCode! (i.e. the analyzer that builds the graph (i.e. the AST if it was a language), validates dead links, and so on).

Well so yeah, at least, I think a good idea will be to use the Language Server Protocol to decouple the backend (possibly in other languages more performant) and the front-end (Zettlr or any other extension).

• Just so that we're on the same page: Do I read your intentions right in that you basically say "Thanks for developing an application for 3 years, but could you please trash it and transfer the remainings into an extension for an application with a completely different goalset?", or did I miss a nuance here?

• edited May 13

Not at all, I get that it is not feasible :smile:

If I understood correctly, the plan is to implement graph-like functionalities and advanced analysis features (e.g. backlinks), and maybe more.

I think it is a good idea to decouple that backend logic from the frontend (Zettlr). The Language Server Protocol is a protocol that standardizes this communication. It is not specific to vscode.
    Another advantage of this decoupling, is that the backend can be developed independently from Zettlr and likely would have more contributors, since it could be used easily with different frontends.

It may well be that's it's overkill, just an idea.

• Ah alright, I see your point. Well, at the moment it's all just wishful thinking, because this plan is really really not going to get going in the next year or so, given the amount of work with Zettlr so far, but then I now know where to look ;)

• @hendrik said:
    Just so that we're on the same page: Do I read your intentions right in that you basically say "Thanks for developing an application for 3 years, but could you please trash it and transfer the remainings into an extension for an application with a completely different goalset?", or did I miss a nuance here?

hi Hendrik

1) i really love and appreciate your work and dedication
    2) i've been contribuiting to OpenSource projects since 2002.. i know quite well the dev ecosystem and life of open source
    3) i've seen about 30 markdown editors come and go in latest years.. i would really like (and pay!) for a Zettlr+Mindforger+Ulysses markdown suite that would last for next 10 years at least, leaving all the .md files to me.

i got this thinking when i was (am still) styling the markdown rendering.. and i know all your struggles with very core basic stuff.. and then i discovered vscode-crossnote .. so it "would" be possible to have all the beauties of Zettlr as a good extension of a really well supported and developed text editor like VS-Code.. that has already (BTW) tons of very good markdown plugins and helpers.

don't be offended, please. i just wanted to share this idea.. let's see how 0xGG goes on with crossnote

ciao
    stefano

• Before using Zettlr I also tried to manage Markdown notes in Visual Studio Code with various plugins enabled. It never really worked fine since that workflow forced Visual Studio Code into something it's not (a text editor).

Zettlr works much much better is a lot more productive for me.

I also don't see the benefit of jumping on another project. I'd much rather have Hendrik and the Zettlr team continue their work, since they already did great things. If they have to join the team of that new Visual Studio Code extension you'd get too much compromises and a little bit of everything.

• If they have to join the team of that new Visual Studio Code extension you'd get too much compromises and a little bit of everything.

Most certainly.

• @Jme said:
    Before using Zettlr I also tried to manage Markdown notes in Visual Studio Code with various plugins enabled. It never really worked fine since that workflow forced Visual Studio Code into something it's not (a text editor).

I also used VS Code for Markdown but eventually found it lacking. The VS Code environment is inherently quite busy, which is at odds with the clean and minimalist nature of Markdown. Also, the many available extensions can draw the user into excessive tweaking, and the app can become sluggish.

Am really enjoying the sparse and focussed feel of Zettler. Keep it up!