We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Why use a RegEx ID for linking between notes?

Hi!

I use the Zettelkasten features on Zettlr to create links between different notes (I haven't created a real Zettelkasten system though)). At first, I would create an automatic ID for each note and use those to link between files. However, for one file I forgot to do it and realized you can link with just the name of the file, if that file does not have an ID set up.

This seems a lot more appealing to me, as I can have "See [[Crawford 1973]], p. 73]]" in my notes instead of something like "See [[202009011304]], p. 73". Is there any reason why I should not use this system? What are the advantages of using RegEx IDs over regular titles ? I should add that as I use Zotero to create my bibliographical references, there is no risk of two different files ending up with the same name.

Cheers !

Comments

• File names and titles change, auto-generated IDs don't. And that's why I prefer IDs over files names/titles.