We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Typing slow

The typing speed gets significantly slower once I type more than 1000 words in a file with a good amount of citations and links. There is a lag of 1-2 seconds between my typing and the word's showing on the screen. I'm using a Mac and running Zettlr 1.7.5. Please help!

Comments

• edited November 2020

Hi! I am experiencing the same issue with Windows. I am switching to another editor, as it is ompossible for me to edit documents loger than 2000 words, also with shorter paragraphs. Any suggestion about how to solve this issue?

• Possibly test out the recent Zettlr betas: https://github.com/Zettlr/Zettlr/releases

• Hi. I just downloaded the recent Zettlr betas (recommanded above), and it's still really slow.
    I work with a macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) et now Zettlr 1.8.

My articles can contain more than 15 000 words, easily. I'd love to keep working with Zettlr, but I must admit this is getting tiresome.

Are there any solutions ? (explained to a software dummy like myself ?) Thanks.

• I'm having the same issue with Windows and the latest build. Makes it pretty much impossible to use for writing. Starts to slow down even with a few hundred words

• I ran some analyses, and figured it's the multiplexer we use for different syntax highlighters. Hence, I will be implementing some improvements.

Until then, simple mitigation. Try to keep your lines below approx. 500 words. Remember you can also "hard-wrap" paragraphs with single line breaks (press return once), this should mitigate it until a fix is delivered.

• Hi,

same problem here, on Windows 10. But even trying to mitigate it with "hard-warp" paragraphs, there is a fastidious latency during typing. That's a shame since Zettlr is just an amazing platform!

Is there any cooming improvement in the air? I hope so.

Best wishes.
    D.

• Hello, I'm having the same problem on Windows 10 as well. I'm a new user, and wasn't seeing this problem until I had > hundred words but it is making the application somewhat unusable.

Really liking much about the program, so looking forward to checking on a new release when it drops.

Best,
    sah

• edited January 8

I just want to confirm the same problem with Ubuntu 20.04 and Zettlr 1.8.4.

I'll fall back on RMarkdown until the issue is fixed, but Zettlr is obviously a much more elegant writing environment (quite beautiful, really), so I look forward to being able to use it again in the future.

• fyi: The fix for this problem has just been merged into the codebase this morning, we'll be testing it a little bit and then release a patch for that!

• Version 1.8.6 works beautifully. Vielen Dank, Hendrik!