We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Citing an author in a sentence

edited October 23 in General

Hi,

How can I cite an author in text? For example:
Jones (2016) notes that...

At the moment I can only do end of sentence citations using the @ like
Jones notes that ... (Jones 2016)

Thanks!

Comments

• The common way is:

• Thank you, however it doesn't render for me. It stays in the text like this
    Although -@braithwaiteCouldSovietUnion2020 claim the underlying political system was moribund by this stage...

• Same rendering problem in 1.75 and 1.80 beta. Would be nice though.

• If you need anything other than the pure citekey, you need to encapsulate that with square brackets.

Change this:

Although -@braithwaiteCouldSovietUnion2020 claim the underlying political system was moribund by this stage...

... to this:

Although Braithwaite [-@braithwaiteCouldSovietUnion2020] claim the underlying political system was moribund by this stage...

• Thanks for this, I'll start using square brackets from citations more consistently.

One thing I noticed however was that this simply omits the author requiring the author to be manually entered. Is there a way that the citation can render as {Author (year)}. Thanks!

• edited October 29

@mrklmb said:
    Thanks for this, I'll start using square brackets from citations more consistently.

One thing I noticed however was that this simply omits the author requiring the author to be manually entered. Is there a way that the citation can render as {Author (year)}. Thanks!

I doubt it. This citation approach is implemented through pandoc and is virtually identical to how LaTeX handles citations with either BibTeX or BibLaTeX. So we're talking about something very generic. AFAIK, none of them do what you want.

In a generic setting, there are two reasons why:

1. They handle numerous citation styles, including references-in-footnotes, as one often encounters in the humanities, and numbered references, often encountered in the natural sciences. You're asking for something unique to author-date citation systems, and specializing the general mechanism may make it so unique that any general update (e.g., to BibLaTeX) would require major recoding for this specific genre. Even worse, it might introduce incompatibilities.
    2. In author-date systems the author's name can be placed various places and various forms in the text. E.g.:
    • "Marx deals with this in Capital (1967c)."
    • "Ricardo's (1817) ideas were developed much further by Marx (1967c)."
    • "Ricardo's (1817) ideas were developed much further by Marx (1967a, 1967c)."
    • "Among classical economists, Ricardo's and Marx's contributions to land-rent theory were most important (Ricardo 1817; Marx 1867c)."

There are many permutations. The one you want is most common, but doesn't work in all cases, many of which would still requires manual insertion.

What might be best would be to have the software copy an author name to the clipboard, but I've never seen anything like this.