We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Problems while resetting pandoc command after new release installation

Hi!
I cannot get rid of the problem that one is supposed to be able to avoid by implementing the following new-release advice: "Make sure to reset your Pandoc command once again in the advanced preferences tab, especially if you receive "could not open binary file"-errors from Pandoc!". I cannot solve the problem, no matter how many times I try to reset the command, even saving and then closing zettlr...

With release 1.8.4 and pandoc 2.11.3.1-1 on Debian the following custom command works flawlessly:
pandoc -s $tpl$ -f markdown-implicit_figures --pdf-engine=xelatex -o $outfile$ a_FRONT.md a_intro_bis.md cap_1_bis.md cap_2_bis.md cap_3_bis.md references.md --citeproc --bibliography "$bibliography$" $cslstyle$
whereas after having installed release 1.8.5 I cannot arrange things to work, always receiving the error: "could not open binary file".

Thus, for the time being I have re-installed version 1.8.4, but I'd like to understand why such problems arise and how to get rid of them once for ever.
Vielen Dank
Alex

Comments

• Yeah, unfortunately you have to reset it again in 1.8.5, because I made a mistake previously. Apologies for the mess, but we will get rid of this command altogether very soon, and then you don't have to undergo this useless procedure anymore!

• Yes, but my point was that I'm not able to perform a successful reset, in order to get rid of the error. If "to reset" means going in Options->Advanced and to click on the arrow-circled symbol, just to get back to the pre-defined pandoc command, that procedure doesn't seem to be effective. Even if I save and close zettlr (after the reset), then inserting again my custom pandoc command gives raise to the same error... Have I missed something? Anyway, I can wait till the next release will be issued.

but we will get rid of this command altogether very soon

What do you mean? Are you going to implement a new system for custom commands (which I find fundamental)? I was about to ask for the possibility of saving a list of custom commands, that one then could choose among depending upon the kind of export to be performed.

Noch vielen Dank

• Are you going to implement a new system for custom commands (which I find fundamental)?

Yes, in short: Instead of pushing every configuration option into Pandoc using the command line, we'll switch to using defaults-files. The benefit: We can add a lot more GUI options for the users who are not adept in modifying command line options, it is much more stable, and it gives much more power to Zettlr's exporter. For more see the corresponding pinned issue: https://github.com/Zettlr/Zettlr/issues/1552

• I've got it, thanks. My only concern: will the new methodology based upon defaults-files allow same levels of customization for those who like maximum flexibility? Or passing variables to pandoc this way will entail depending entirely on the Zettlr's GUI options-variables de facto available at a given time? Indeed at the moment I'm totally free in choosing to use or not Zettlr's variables in building my custom pandoc command, mixing them with whatever is needed and allowed by pandoc alone...

• My only concern: will the new methodology based upon defaults-files allow same levels of customization for those who like maximum flexibility?

Don't worry, it does! This way it will work as follows:

1. Set general options through Zettlr's GUI, which will write those into a default file
    2. Set any specific options with 100% flexibility in YAML frontmatter. Those will naturally override both existing values from the defaults AND add possibly new options as well.
  • Wunderbar! :)