We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Overwrite Existing File?

When I ctrl-click on a [[link]] I get a message that says

Overwrite Existing File?
The file link.md already exists in this directory. Overwrite?

I'm using (^[A-Za-z0-9 _]*[A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9 _]*$) in the Zettelkasten ID regular expression thingie.

Am I doing something wrong? (the file does exists and I don't want to overwrite it, just want to open it)

Comments

• I just updated to the latest version (1.8.7) and that error doesn't show up anymore (Yay!)

However, the window does not switch to the file of the link. The file does end up showing up on the file list to the left which I can then click to navigate to, but is there a way to force the editor to open that link automatically?

Ok, I just did another search through the docs and realized that instead of [[link]], in order to actually follow the link it has to be [[link.md]], i.e. include the file extension.

Is there a way to force the assumption that all [[links]] are .md and not need the actual extension? My entire notes system co-exists with another app on android (synced folder) and I'd love to have them be able to use the same files (I'm using Epsilon Notes on android)

• Is there a way to force the assumption that all [[links]] are .md and not need the actual extension?

Ah, that's a bug!

• oh, so one day that should work again?

Cool :)

Consider this a +1 vote to get that working again (that's my entire work flow, ha ha)

That said, I'm still contemplating the whole idea of ID vs FileName. I'm reading the book "How to make smart notes" and would like to try the "official Zettelkasten" method, and I assume using IDs (obscure numbers) as filenames is part of that...