We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Shortcut for sidebar

Hi all,

Is there a working shortcut for the right hand sidebar?

I've looked here:

https://docs.zettlr.com/en/reference/keyboard-shortcuts/

and here:

https://www.zettlr.com/shortcuts

I can't find one that's working. I might have something wrong in Zettlr settings or globally (mac Big Sur) because quite a few of the shortcuts that I've tried don't seem to be right.

Comments

• So the shortcut that's hardcoded into the app is Cmd/Ctrl+?, which on a German keyboard layout maps to pressing Cmd or Ctrl and then Shift and ß. However, multiple users have already commented that on a en-US keyboard layout, even though they're pressing Cmd or Ctrl, Shift and / that's not working, and I don't really know why. I think that other apps actually look up the locale of the users and adapt the shortcuts depending on that, but I've had no time to implement such a thing myself (primarily because I don't have an en-US ANSI layout here to look that up)

• Ah OK. Good to know I'm not going mad!
    As an aside, it'd be nice to be able to adjust the transparency of the sidebar. As it stands, it's frustratingly close to being transparent enough to just keep open all the time.

• As an aside, it'd be nice to be able to adjust the transparency of the sidebar. As it stands, it's frustratingly close to being transparent enough to just keep open all the time.

In Zettlr 2.0 that won't be necessary I think, since the sidebar is now a "real" sidebar that doesn't overlay with the editor anymore. Until then, you can still use custom CSS!

• Thanks Hendrik. I don't know CSS (only ever copy and pasted others work) so I'll hang out for 2.0.
    Servus.

• edited May 4

Well I just found some CSS snippet and combined with another bit, came up with the following which reduces the width of the text in the editor to allow the sidebar to be open permanently, also reducing left and top margins to a minimum. I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems to work.

editor {

--side-margin: calc( 50vw - 30em );
    }

editor .CodeMirror {

margin-left: 0px;
    }

editor .CodeMirror-scroll {

padding-right: var(--side-margin);
    }