We are currently planning to migrate to a different platform for the forum. We will announce this fact both here and on Twitter, once we have settled on a solution.

Switch double quotation marks to single quotation marks in footnotes

edited May 10 in General

Hi, thanks for a great app!

I am trying to work out how I can change the following behaviour:

My single quotation marks in my footnotes are rendered (by both the in-app preview and the various exports) as double quotation marks.

example: [The question of whether the Lord Jesus was given a people 'from all eternity… and to be by him in time Redeemed' was still subject to some controversy at the Westminster Assembly in September 1645. @Westminster2012 iii.659-660]

is rendered like this in the editor, and similarly in the export: (The question of whether the Lord Jesus was given a people "from all eternity… and to be by him in time Redeemed" was still subject to some controversy at the Westminster Assembly in September 1645. @Westminster2012 iii.659-660)

How can I change this behaviour?

Comments

• I'm still thinking of ways of adding the Magic Quotes functionality (+ Autocorrect) to footnote editors, since these are not CodeMirror instances. But I think you can achieve an automatic quotes conversion by setting the lang-property in the YAML frontmatter of a file. Better check the Pandoc documentation, iirc there's something on smart quotes in there

• just seen this, thanks hendrik, I will check that out!

• edited May 26

I can see how that would change it (I switched from en-GB to en-UK and lots of things changed, including the footnote quote conversion). How do I go about locally overriding whatever specification the lang property is pointing to?

• What exactly are you referring to?

• changing the value for 'lang' in the YAML header from en-GB to en-UK changes a number of things in the PDF output via pandoc, including single or double quotation marks in footnotes, but also things like where the full stop is in relation to a quotation mark in the body text. (e.g. I want to quote 'what somebody else said'. becomes I want to quote 'what somebody else said.') So clearly there is some kind of generic locale stylesheet that is being called upon for these changes: I want to be able to override those locally so I can have single quotation marks everywhere, and specify myself where the punctuation goes in relation to quotation marks.

I'm aware that citeproc for example draws on this stylesheet for CSL that is marked en-GB: https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/blob/master/locales-en-GB.xml. I've been able to locally override one of its styles in my local .csl file. But I am assuming this stylesheet is only for CSL, not for the formatting of body text and footnote quotation styles.

I know this is probably a pandoc thing, rather than a zettlr thing, but I thought there might be a quick place you could point me to to find this generic locale stylesheet.

Does that make any more sense?