We switched to a manual approval system for registration on this forum, as this makes it easier to keep bots out of the forum. We'll approve everybody who doesn't look like a bot!

Questions about Image and File Handling

Hello hendrik and others,

I recently found this app and felt in love due to the in-app file browser, ability to perform citation, design, etc.
Nevertheless, I have some questions regarding the handling of images:

One use-case for me is writing summaries of experiments I've done (phD student here). These should include images, typically some sort of graph or scetch. Since I eventually write a paper or use them in my thesis (both written in LateX) I currently use graphics as vector graphics, i.e. pdf, whenever possible. Including pdf's in Zettlr is possible like with all pictures: ![caption](path/file.pdf)

1. While this is working smoothly for PDF export, it always maximized the graphic to the whole page width. Is there a command to restrict graphics to a certain width?
  2. The graphic is not recognized in Zettlr, and in html there's only a small PDF viewer. Is there something I can do? Is there another vector graphic format (.eps, .svg) which is better suited?

PDF in Zettlr
PDF in Zettlr
PDF in HTML
PDF in HTML

More general questions:

1. I believe typora has a function, where you can drop images into it and it automatically copies the file into a subdirectory with the same name as the corresponding .md file. This would be something I would find useful - is there someone else?
  2. For my described use case and since Zettlr can handle to much data within its opened directory (and I don't need my actual data within Zettlr anyways) I figured a separate directory for my summaries would be usefull (as root directory in Zettlr, see below). I managed to link to the corresponding file directory in my markdown document with [Link to Directory](file:///home/[...]/Projekte/Project B). Unfortunately this seems only to work with absolut links, which is problematic if the database is synced to other computers. Does anybody knows of a way to achieve the same with relative paths?

Thanks a lot in advance for any time spent to answer and any suggestion I get. :)

Comments

• Concerning your first question to manipulate the image width for export to PDF try to append the following at the end of the image-link:

{width=[Width]}

Where '[Width]' should be replaced with the desired value including a unit string ('px', '%' etc.). Hope this works for you.

• For an answer to 1, refer to my forespeaker :D

For 2: I am quite surprised that rendering PDF files within an image tag would actually give you the PDF viewer, I was unaware of that hidden feature o_O

For 3: Basically, Zettlr allows you to do that if you copy the image to the clipboard. I try to prevent Zettlr from doing too much automated stuff, as I personally hate it when for instance, images are copied criss-cross across my computer (why have two copies of the same thing, right?) But I understand that in some circumstances this might be not so beneficial.

4 So … you link to a Markdown file, correct? If so, it should also work with relative links if I'm not misinformed. If it does, it might indicate a bug!

• Thanks for both of your answers. I was traveling last week therefore a belated answer.

@jothanne said:
    Concerning your first question to manipulate the image width for export to PDF try to append the following at the end of the image-link:

{width=[Width]}

Where '[Width]' should be replaced with the desired value including a unit string ('px', '%' etc.). Hope this works for you.

Thank you, I'll have a look. I would prefer to have an option not depending on the kind of export, i.e. both HTML and PDF.

@hendrik said:
    For 2: I am quite surprised that rendering PDF files within an image tag would actually give you the PDF viewer, I was unaware of that hidden feature o_O

I was as well. So it seems there's no good option for vector graphics?

@hendrik said:
    For 3: Basically, Zettlr allows you to do that if you copy the image to the clipboard. I try to prevent Zettlr from doing too much automated stuff, as I personally hate it when for instance, images are copied criss-cross across my computer (why have two copies of the same thing, right?) But I understand that in some circumstances this might be not so beneficial.

I can see the point of then having multiple versions of the same files. For some work, where you maybe want to share the results this would be advantageous nevertheless. I have to admit I haven't tried yet, drag'n'drop would be a better solution I guess. But I already saw the github-issue. :smile:

@hendrik said:
    4 So … you link to a Markdown file, correct? If so, it should also work with relative links if I'm not misinformed. If it does, it might indicate a bug!

No, actually I tried to link a file directory and it worked for absolute paths. If this would work for relative links as well, this would be even better. Do you know of something like that?