We switched to a manual approval system for registration on this forum, as this makes it easier to keep bots out of the forum. We'll approve everybody who doesn't look like a bot!

Multimarkdown?

There is a flavor of Markdown called Multimarkdown that adds functionality for tables, footnotes, and citation. Although there is a Windows parser available for it, I don't see any Windows-compatible software that actually implements it. I'm wondering if it was ever considered for Zettlr?

Comments

• Have you tried doing tables and footnotes? I have files with them, and they open fine in Zettler. The one file I have has exported fine, including tables, graphics and endnotes.

• Yes, Zettlr supports Tables, Footnotes, and Citations, and so does Pandoc, which is being used to export Markdown files. It works on all platforms, including Windows!

• Unfortunately, Zettlr's implementation of footnotes seems to require using the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+F, which I have used as a global 'find' shortcut for 10+ years. Is there a way to insert footnotes using some plaintext codes?

• Yes, of course! The shortcut is only for the lazy (like me) :D To insert a footnote, simply put [^<number>] where you want the footnote to be and, preferably at the end of file (but as far as I know it doesn't matter), on its own line a [^<number>]: <footnote-text>, where <number> is either that, a number, or, what will also work is a string, e.g. [^fn34n1]. The only necessary thing is for the reference to be on its own line, and the numbers/identifiers corresponding!

• edited February 19

Great. I don't think that's in the English documentation - would be a useful addition.

Can you explain the syntax of [^fn34n1]? What are the 2 numbers for? Can you give an example of a footnote using the shorter string that would have the text testing?

• That was just an example, basically anything is allowed as an identifier (but, afaik, no spaces or special characters ...? But don't take my word for it).

As for the documentation: Due to extremely limited time which I would rather spend on developing the app, I can't promise to keep the docs updated at all times, so please feel free to add it yourself: https://github.com/Zettlr/zettlr-docs !

• @hendrik said:
    Yes, of course! The shortcut is only for the lazy (like me) :D To insert a footnote, simply put [^<number>] where you want the footnote to be and, preferably at the end of file (but as far as I know it doesn't matter)

I actually prefer to put mine at the end of the paragraph where the footnote is. That makes it easier to find and to edit in the future. A couple apps I've used put them automatically at the end of the file, but I still prefer at the end of the paragraph (and in their own paragraphs), as it keeps it all together. And it works in Zettlr, at least up until now. :-)

• Don't worry, it'll continue to be working.

• edited February 20

I didn't realize that I could contribute to the documentation. Since I can't program, I'll be happy to help the project by contributing there. If I'm trying to clarify something to rewrite it, do you prefer I send you a private message or post in the forum?

Although the docs GitHub link say that you can make small modifications right on the page, when I click "Edit on GitHub" it says "You need to fork this repository to propose changes." Do I fork even for typos?

• If I'm trying to clarify something to rewrite it, do you prefer I send you a private message or post in the forum?

Just open up a Pull Request on the repository, because then we have a more clear-cut discussion on the specific issue; helps both keep the forum lean, AND the PR :)

Do I fork even for typos?

Yes, the way it works is like that: You fork the repository once, so that you basically make a copy of it. On that copy, you can then change everything, and once you're happy with the results, you can open a Pull Request, which basically says "Hey, here are some modifications, please add them from my own copy of the repository to the main one!"

You only need to fork once (YOFO, if you want to), and then before changing something, simply make sure to merge the current status of the main repository into your copy, and then change whatever you like :)